Fruits and vegetables are an important part of human diet. They are full of a wide variety of vitamins, minerals iron, and potassium and packed with body building substances called phytonutrients, but what about our four legged companions, can we share our fruits and vegetables with our dogs. There are certain fruits like grapes which are a definite no for dogs. Similarly there are certain other vegetables like onion and garlic that can be highly toxic and deadly for dogs.
You can also check our article on Can dogs eat onions?
What about the nutrient rich veggie celery can dogs eat celery? We will try to answer all your queries on whether or not you should feed celery to your pooch and are there any benefits of feeding celery to dogs.
Is celery safe for dogs?
Yes! You can safely give celery to your pooch but in moderation. Your dog’s overall nutritional requirement must be fulfill by a high grade quality dog food, no compromise on it, fruits and vegetables should only be incorporated as an additional healthy treats. Celery is one such vegetable that you can occasionally feed your pooch as an alternative treat. Moderation and preparation are the key factors and needs to be careful about.
How can dogs eat Celery?
Celery is a super nutritious vegetable, no doubt about it, but it does not mean that your fur pal needs a big amount. To ensure no digestion issues, cut the vegetable into small chewable, digestible pieces— discard the leaves and any stringy parts as the stringy part of the vegetable is even tougher for us to chew so could be a choking hazard for the dog, and give in moderation to your dog.
Another great way to give celery to dogs with all its nutrition is to process it into a juice. This makes it easier for your dog to absorb the vital nutrients it contained without any risk of choking. You can also cook it as this vegetable does not lose the nutrients during cooking. Do not overfeed your dog celery as too much can cause your pooch to urinate more than it normally does and could also cause digestive problems.
Benefits of Celery for dogs
Celery could be incorporated safely into a dog’s treat occasionally because it is a super low calorie health food for most dog. Some of the benefits of Celery for dogs are:
- Celery contains a lot of phytonutrient antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties which are considered to be very beneficial for dogs with arthritis and joint problems.
- Celery contains pthalides that can help lower the blood pressure.
- Organic sodium found in celery is good for your dog’s body.
- Celery is full of Vitamin C which helps promote your dog’s immune system.
- The microbial properties of celery help fight infections and prevent from urinary tract infections.
- Celery is rich in many vitamins like vitamin A, B, C, and minerals like calcium, potassium, phosphorous and iron which are good for your fur pal’s teeth, coat, bones, eyesight, and overall health.
- Celery also freshens doggie breath which is a bonus.
- The nutrients celery contains also improve the frequency and ease of bowel movements.
Although many are the benefits of celery for your dog however make sure not to feed too much to your furry companion. Even though dogs can eat celery safely but always practice moderation and slowly introduce any new food. Be very careful with food allergies and monitor your dog very carefully. Keep an eye on the following symptoms of an allergic reaction. If your dog seems to be itchy, develops scabs or irritated skin, sneezing or has stomach issues like diarrhea, it may be having an allergic reaction. If you see any of these symptoms stop feeding the offending food immediately and get your dog to the vet.